What is Diminution?
It means that your car is worth less because it was in an accident. Most cars suffer a 10% to 50% loss in market value even after being repaired. Would you pay top dollar for a car that had been in an accident?
How do I get compensation for diminution in value?
You may be entitled to compensation for diminution in value if:
- Your accident was caused by someone other than you;
- That person has insurance; and
- Your car was properly repaired.
How much is my claim for diminution in value worth?
The value of your claim is based on several factors:
- Amount of damage compared to the value of the vehicle
- Value of the vehicle in pre-accident condition
- Any frame damage
- Year, Make, and Model
- Quality of repair
How do I make a claim for diminution in value?
Brett M. Bressler is an attorney who represents owners of cars, motorcycles, trucks, recreational vehicles in claims for diminution in value.
How do I get an attorney?
Brett M. Bressler, P.A. accepts cases on a contingency fee basis in which the client pays no attorney fee or costs unless there is a recovery. This allows the client to retain an attorney even if he or she cannot afford one. Call my office for a free consultation.
What advice can you give me now that may help my case?
- Take high-quality photographs of the damage to your vehicle. Take pictures that show the entire vehicle in a single frame, and close up pictures that show damage to the frame, body, undercarriage, and interior. Use a good camera with a flash. If you do not have a good camera, call me.
- Find your original purchase invoice for the vehicle, and save all receipts for the towing, storage, and repair of your vehicle.
- You are entitled to money for a rental car while your car is being repaired.